You train hard with a strict diet for 16 weeks leading up to a show. During that time you scour Pinterest and pin all the delicious food recipes you can’t have, but promise yourself that you WILL have once the show is over. Let’s talk about that, the post contest binge.
I know after a show the first thing I want is a big burger and a plate of nachos! That’s fine, but for many it doesn’t stop there. A cheat meal turns into a day, into a week, and before you know it you’ve gained 20 lbs. Your blood pressure is high, your joints hurt and you are retaining enough water to fill a bathtub. NOT GOOD.
- Pound the the water once the show is over.
- Enjoy a meal or two, and Monday have a plan as to what you will eating. Just like in prep.
- Have your coach give you a post contest meal plan. This should be maintenance calories or a type of reverse diet. ( gradually adding carbs and fats back in over a course of weeks)
- Keep training! Now that you’re out of starvation mode, your muscles are full, fueled and ready to grow. This is a great time to add some muscle, so hit the weights!
- Taper off your cardio. Don’t stop cold turkey, taper 10 mins at a time.
- Make off season goals. This is the time you improve your physique. Do you have a lagging body part? Try hitting it 2 x weekly.
- Don’t get so far out of shape that you don’t look like you train! Live the life style year round.
I hope these tips make your transition from contest prep to off season smooth sailing!
Tammy Patnode is an IFBB pro physique competitor and NPC judge. She is a certified personal trainer and sports nutritionist. She offers contest prep, general training and weight loss programs for men and women that are customized for each client.
Tammy is one of our exclusive HerSUPPZ BRAND AMBASSADORS!
Let us know what you think! Leave your love in the comment section below or email us at [email protected]!!