BAKING WITH PROTEIN POWDER
Learning how to bake with protein powder seems to be a science in itself for sure!
It takes some trial and error and I have had my share of errors believe me, but the nutritional value of figuring out what works is definitely worth it!
I love that people are paying attention to what they are putting in their bodies and even better is what they are offering their children.
This is not a fad.
This is not going to pass like tapered jeans and 80’s bangs.
There’s so much information out there about nutrition and fitness and although it can get quite overwhelming it ultimately is a great thing. It is also very important to trust the sources you are getting your information from. It is your choice to follow it or not follow it. We can’t be perfect all the time, but we can most or even some of the time and that is enough.
Since I have not been in competition “prep” I have not been so perfect …not even some of the time.
I am totally seeing how good eating makes you feel GOOD.
I need to incorporate all that good clean-ish eating in my life again. Experimenting with protein powder is helping me find that balance of being able to eat my sweets and still feel some much needed freedom in my eating career.
These are the things that I noticed when cooking with protein powder…
- Protein powder will absorb more of the liquids in your recipes than flour. You will need to add more liquids in the form of fruit (think applesauce, bananas, the mushy ones), veggies (pureed black beans are awesome in brownies), yogurt or milk.
So keeping that in mind…
- For every scoop of protein powder you use in your recipe use an equal amount of a liquid.
- When you use all protein powder in a recipe it will be very rubbery. The best ratio for baked goods is a 50/50 mix. One of my favorite muffin recipes calls for 1 1/2 cup enriched flour. I use 1/2 cup white unbleached, unenriched flour, 1/2 cup protein powder and 1/2 cup whole wheat flour and it was delicious.
Side note…when you see the term “enriched” it is misleading. The word “enriched” means they take out the good and replace it with other ingredients. They replace it with ingredients that allow for a longer shelf life not nutritional value.
- Protein powder does not like to be over-baked. For a lighter textured baked good you may have to turn down the heat and cook longer. Most recipes call for 350 degrees so turn the temp down to 325 degrees and your protein powder will appreciate it.
- Preheating your oven is a must.
- Fold your ingredients when mixing them. Do not over mix.
For a wonderful “cream cheese” frosting use Greek yogurt, a scoop of vanilla (or vanilla ice cream flavor, cinnamon roll flavor or even the chocolate flavors!) protein powder, a splash of vanilla and a little stevia.
Experiment with the amounts. Mix all ingredients and you have yourself a much healthier version of your favorite cream cheese frosting.
Experiment and let us know how these tips work for you and if you have any great recipes or tips to share please leave your comments below!! We would LOVE to hear from YOU!
I reached 200 pounds after having my children and several things have led me down my path of wanting to be healthier and better for myself and for my family; countless fitness dvds, a gym membership, leading a weight management class at my church and a personal trainer telling me I had good symmetry.
My husband and I have competed in several competitions from 2012 from 2015. Every competition brought more information on how to be better and stronger both mentally and physically.
I have learned many things on my fitness journey, but the one thing that I hear over and over no matter what size they are, is the self-talk that many women tell themselves regarding the way they see themselves. I am incredibly grateful for the opportunity to have the tools and wisdom of the people around me to help women of all shapes and dynamics to help them on their journey.
For more articles by Jessica Allion click here.
Follow Jessica on Facebook
Follow Jessica on Instagram
Let us know what you think! We love hearing from you!! Leave your love in the comment section below or email us at [email protected]!!