These past few weeks I have begun to grow bored of the same old recipe for dinner, which was starting to look like monotonous baked chicken and steamed vegetables. My lunch normally consists of baked chicken over leafy greens so I ate the same thing twice a day, every day.
Then I remembered that eating healthy does not have to mean eating boring. I did some research, tapped into my creativity, and decided to make this Apple, Bacon, and Egg frittata which was so yummy, I will be making it again next week.
The things you need are very simple which makes this dish inexpensive, quick, and easy:
- Black Pepper
- 3 Slices of Bacon (I used turkey bacon)
- ¼ 8 oz. Block of Sharp Cheddar Cheese (or ½ shredded cheddar)
- 6 Eggs
- 1 Apple (I used honey crisp, but you could do any kind)
When it comes the apple, I recommend choosing an apple that is crisp and has a strong flavor, which is why I chose the honey crisp. Granny smith would also be a solid choice if you want something tarter versus sweet.
Onto the making process! Again, this is a super easy dish to make. Hubby was shocked when I was finished, he just could not believe that it had taken such a short amount of time for such a pretty meal.
Once you have gathered your ingredients, follow the instructions below:
- Wash, core, and very thinly slice your apple into 1/3 inch wedges. Set these aside to use later.
- In a medium bowl, whisk your 6 eggs, 2 tablespoons of water, ¼ teaspoon of salt, and ½ teaspoon of black pepper.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. You want to use a skillet that can be transferred to the oven.
- Add your 3 strips of bacon to the skillet and cook until crispy.
- Transfer cooked bacon to a plate and allow to cool. Save your skillet, do not wash it.
- Chop your bacon into small pieces.
- Add butter and apple slices to bacon skillet and stir combine. Cook until the apples are soft, about 1-2 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to broil.
- Grate cheese and ½ of the cheese to the bowl of eggs and mix.
- Return bacon to the skillet with the apples and spread bacon and apples evenly on the bottom.
- Pour egg mixture into skillet, over bacon and apples.
- As the eggs set around the edge of the skillet, gently lift cooked portions with a spatula to allow the uncooked egg to flow underneath. Cook until the bottom and sides are firm but the top is still runny, about 5-7 minutes.
- Sprinkled the remaining cheddar over the top and broil in the oven until top is set, 2-3 minutes. Cut into wedges and serve!
I served my frittata for dinner with a broccoli slaw salad but you can do any vegetable you like. Adding in some broccoli when you pour the egg mixture to the skillet, for some added nutrition. I really enjoyed this dish because it is healthy, delicious, easy, and I mean –bacon!
FAITH ENGEN ELLIS
Faith is a southern girl, born and raised in North Carolina. She enjoys spending time with her husband and fur-baby.
Faith is living a healthy lifestyle and her ultimate passion is to inspire others to do the same.
She decided to change the way she was living 4 years ago, but she wasn’t expecting to actually fall in love with it!
Now she enjoys experimenting with different kinds of fitness and challenging her body to new heights whether it be pilates, plyometric training, or weight training, and she aims to inspire others to realize the strength within themselves as well.
Faith’s favorite product for pre-workout is the Optimum Nutrition Essential Amino Energy line. Her favorite flavor so far has been the peach lemonade, but next on her list is Mocha Cappuccino, yum! The use of natural caffeine sources is a real win for this product and it mixes easily, so there is no grainy texture.
For protein sources, she enjoys Oh Yeah! One Bars for a quick and filling snack on-the-go, of which she has many favorite flavors! Or Gaspari Precision Protein to mix up a shake. Faith’s favorite recipe uses 1 scoop of the Cinnamon Cereal Crunch flavor, mixed with 1/2 a banana, 1/4 a cup of vanilla Greek yogurt, 1 tsp cinnamon, 8 ounces of unsweetened almond milk, and 1 cup of ice.
Follow Faith on Facebook
Follow Faith on Instagram
Check out Faith’s website Ladies, Lattes and Lifting!
We would love to know what you think!